Upper Animas Marathon
Run over 25 miles of class III, IV and V whitewater all in one day. You will journey into a completely road-less portion of the San Juan National Forest, with stunning scenery and 14,000 foot peaks nearby. You will hit class V Tenmile rapid, No Name rapid and Broken Bridge rapid in one exhausting day! Are you really crazy? Add on the Rockwood Box for an Ultra-Marathon (flow dependent)!
Participants should have above average fitness and stamina, as well as strong swimming skills and previous whitewater rafting experience. During high water in May and early June this is especially important as we will likely be portaging at least one rapid (you must be able to help carry the boat). We reserve the right to move participants to the Middle Upper trip based on flows or skill/fitness levels of participants.
No other river in Colorado can match the scenery and wilderness character that is found on the Upper Animas. Come and see for yourself or watch the video!
- 4 PM Day Prior to Launch: Meet at 4 Corners Riversports in Durango for a pre-trip raft trip on the Lower Animas to assess skills and prepare for the challenges ahead
- 7 AM: Depart Durango for Silverton, Colorado
- 8 AM: Arrive in historic Silverton and rig boats
- 9:00 AM: Begin floating
- 10 AM: Run class IV+ Snow Shed rapid
- 11 AM: Run class V Tenmile rapid
- 12 PM: Arrive at and scout class V No Name rapid
- Eat a quick lunch after No Name
- 1 PM: Run class IV+ Tank Rapid
- 2 PM: Arrive in Needleton, CO
- 2:30 PM: Run class V Broken Bridge Rapid
- 3:30 PM: Run class IV Lunch Box rapids and Dinner Gorge rapids
- 4:00 PM: Arrive at Tacoma Station and derig the boats
- 4:30 PM: Board the train bound for Durango
- 5:30 PM: Arrive in Durango, CO
DURANGO & SILVERTON RAILROAD INFO
Standard coach or gondola train tickets are included in the price. Upgraded cars are available. Visit durangotrain.com for more info about this part of your day.
The maximum number allowed per trip by the U.S. Forest Service is 24 including guides. We require a minimum of 4 persons total to conduct a trip. Discounts are available for a group of 10 or more.
MAP OF THE UPPER ANIMAS RIVER
ANIMAS RIVER FLOW @DURANGO (1930 – 2002)
Questions? Please contact us
OTHER UPPER ANIMAS TRIPS
Great adventure trip for active people who want a taste of the Upper Animas.
We take you down the entire Upper Animas in one day.
This is the option we recommend to see all of the Upper Animas from Silverton to Tacoma.
Class V rafting, classic hiking and climbing in the Weminuche Wilderness.
This will rock your boat and your world.