Raft’n Rail-Rockwood Box
Paddling through Rockwood Gorge is one of the most incredible places you will ever be. During peak run off this section of river is unnavigable for commercial rafts. As the river level drops in late July and August this gorge becomes a play ground of class III-IV rapids. We’ll get dropped off by the train at the confluence of Cascade Creek or Tank Creek. After getting geared up we will warm up with 4 miles of class III-IV rapids before we get to the entrance to the gorge. The length of the gorge runs 3 miles and is stacked with steep and technical rapids. Within the walls we will take our time to scout “Red Wall” and the “Guardian” which are class IV rapids. Satisfaction is the best way to describe the feeling once we reach the takeout.
- 9:30 AM: Meet at 4 Corners Riversports
- 10:50 AM: Load to the train at Rockwood
- Noon: Lunch at Tank Creek, warm up on some easy class III rapids
- 2 PM: We float under the train bridge and enter Rockwood Gorge and hit the first rapid “Mandatory”
- 3 PM: Just after floating though the most narrow part of the gorge, we enter class IV Red Wall rapid
- 3:30 PM: Class IV Wall Slammer
- 4 PM: Take out and deflate rafts
- 4:30 PM: Begin 1.5 mile hike and 400 vertical feet out of the canyon
- 5:30 PM: We made it out of the gorge, hop in the van and return to Durango
Watch the Video
DURANGO & SILVERTON RAILROAD INFO
Standard coach or gondola train tickets are included in the price. Upgraded cars are available. Visit durangotrain.com for more info about this part of your day.
The maximum number allowed per trip by the U.S. Forest Service is 24 including guides. We require a minimum of 4 persons total to conduct a trip. Discounts are available for a group of 10 or more.
MAP OF THE UPPER ANIMAS RIVER
ANIMAS RIVER FLOW @DURANGO (1930 – 2002)
Please contact us
OTHER UPPER ANIMAS TRIPS
Great adventure trip for active people who want a taste of the Upper Animas.
We take you down the entire Upper Animas in one day.
This is the option we recommend to see all of the Upper Animas from Silverton to Tacoma.