Upper Animas Overnight
This is one of the most sought after trips in the United States due to the remoteness, stunning scenery and fantastic whitewater. You will be immersed in over 25 miles of class III, IV and V whitewater with some rapids that last for miles. We will stop for the night at our stunning river- side camp where can you relax with a cold beverage or explore Chicago Basin while we cook up a hearty meal for you.
Participants should have above average fitness and stamina, as well as strong swimming skills and previous whitewater rafting experience. During high water in May and early June this is especially important as we will likely be portaging at least one rapid (you must be able to help carry the boat). We reserve the right to move participants to the Middle Upper trip based on flows or skill/fitness levels of participants.
No other river in Colorado can match the scenery and wilderness character that is found on the Upper Animas. Come and see for yourself or watch the video!
- 4 PM Day Prior to Launch: Meet at 4 Corners Riversports in Durango for a pre-trip raft trip on the Lower Animas to assess skills and train for the challenges ahead
- 7 AM Launch Day: Depart Durango for Silverton, Colorado
- 8:30 AM Launch Day: Arrive in historic Silverton and rig boats
- 10:00 AM Launch Day: Begin floating
- 11 AM Launch Day: Run class IV+ Snow Shed rapid
- 12 Noon Launch Day: We prepare a tasty lunch above Ten Mile rapid, then scout this class V rapid
- 1 PM Launch Day: Arrive at and scout class V No Name rapid. We set safety and video camera man. Look like too much for you? You have the option to walk around
- 2 PM Launch Day: Run class IV+ Tank Rapid
- 3 PM Launch Day: Arrive in Needleton, CO. Top Upper participants exit here to board the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Train back to Durango, Colorado
- Overnight participants continue on to camp
- Day 2: 8 AM: coffee and breakfast
- 9:30 AM: Morning hike to the old miners cabin and grave site
- 12 Noon: We prepare a tasty lunch before launching
- 1 PM: Arrive at and scout class V Broken Bridge Rapid
- 2:00 PM: Stop for a well deserved snack break at Cascade Canyon
- 2:30 PM: We tackle several class IV rapids above Tacoma
- 3:30 PM: Arrive at Tacoma Station and derig boats and gear
- 4:30 PM: Board the train for Durango, Colorado
- 5:00 PM: Exit train at Rockwood Station
- 6:00 PM: Arrive in Durango, Colorado
DURANGO & SILVERTON RAILROAD INFO
Standard coach or gondola train tickets are included in the price. Upgraded cars are available. Visit durangotrain.com for more info about this part of your day.
The maximum number allowed per trip by the U.S. Forest Service is 24 including guides. We require a minimum of 4 persons total to conduct a trip. Discounts are available for a group of 10 or more.
The Animas River is a free-flowing river which depends on snowpack. The Upper Animas starts running in May and is usually good through July. At lower August flows we cannot run all the way from Silverton but will start trips in Needleton.
MAP OF THE UPPER ANIMAS RIVER
ANIMAS RIVER FLOW @DURANGO (1930 – 2002)
QUESTIONS? Please contact us
OTHER UPPER ANIMAS TRIPS
Great adventure trip for active people who want a taste of the Upper Animas.
We take you down the entire Upper Animas in one day.
This is the option we recommend to see all of the Upper Animas from Silverton to Tacoma.
Class V rafting, classic hiking and climbing in the Weminuche Wilderness.
This will rock your boat and your world.