SWIFTWATER ACA L4 SKILLS COURSE
This class is taught in accordance in to the American Canoe Association’s SWR Level 4. This an excellent rescue foundation and refresher course for all river professionals.
Students enrolled in our SWR will:
• Develop and practice key self-rescue skills.
• Identify and avoid river hazards by understanding hydrology, hazards, and river features.
• Focus on fast, low-risk strategies for early management of river accidents
• Develop and practice methods for recovering swimmers, and loose boats and equipment
• Develop and practice more advanced rope-based and in-water skills
• Gain experience using the rescue PFD, and understand its strengths and weaknesses
• Utilize rescue scene management principles needed within a paddling group.
You may view sample ACA Swiftwater L4 Skills Course itinerary here:
1. Breathe independently (i.e., not require medical devices to sustain breathing)
2. Independently maintain sealed airway passages while under water
3. Independently hold head upright without neck / head support
4. Manage personal care independently or with assistance of a companion
5. Manage personal mobility independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance
6. Follow instructions and effectively communicate independently or with assistance of a companion
7. Independently turn from face-down to face-up and remain floating face up while wearing a proper-ly fitted life jacket*
8. Get in / out of a paddlecraft independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance*
9. Independently get out and from under a capsized paddlecraft*
10. Reenter the paddlecraft following deep water capsize independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance*
11. Maintain a safe body position while attempting skills, activities and rescues listed in the appropriate Course Outline, and have the ability to recognize and identify to others when such efforts would be unsafe given your personal situation
2019 Dates: May 10-12th
Location: Animas River Durango, Colorado