Take a ride down the Lower Animas River and experience the excitement and ease of maneuvering your kayak through the river. This is a great option to try a new experience.
- About 1 hour on the water for the 2.5-hour trip, and 3 hours on the water for the 4.5-hour trip
- Family-friendly trip
- 2 Hours About 1 hour on River
- Adult Ages 12+
- Youth Ages 4-11
- 4 Hour About 3 hours on River
- Adult Ages 12+
- Youth Ages 4-11
The Perfect Introduction to Rafting in Durango
Known as the “Splash & Dash,” this introductory whitewater rafting trip through our national kayak course provides thrilling rapids and Class III rafting. You also see historical Old West landmarks and hear stories about the early days of Durango. No trip to Durango is complete without a float down the Lower Animas. This fun and convenient Lower Animas river rafting trip is perfect for large groups and families. The Lower Animas starts on the North end of Durango near 32nd St and finishes 5-10 miles downstream depending on which trip you choose and the time of year.
All of our Durango rafting trips include the famous Whitewater Park and Smelter rapids. Our two-hour river rafting trips are a great option for the busy traveler who wants to have a rafting experience but is short on time. For those looking to spend more time on the river, we recommend our 4-hour raft trip.
All of the rafting trips start at the same location; however, the 4-hour rafting trip continues further downstream. Also, we pull over for a riverside snack and a chance to swim. This stretch of the Animas River is beautiful, with lots of opportunities to spot wildlife in their natural habitat and enjoy the scenery.
There are small class II rapids throughout the trip with the biggest class III+ rapid being located at Santa Rita Park known as Smelter. At high water, Smelter has some big crashing waves and we will sometimes need to walk the children in your group around this one depending on how high the water is. After Smelter the river returns back into its natural river bed where you’ll enjoy continuous small rapids through towering cottonwoods and lush riparian vegetation. Book our Lower Animas rafting trip to experience one of the best family rafting trips in Colorado.
What We Provide
- Safety orientation
- PFDs (Personal Flotation Devices), a.k.a. life jackets — Sorry, no personal PFDs allowed.
- Transportation to and from the river
- Raft guide
- Hand sanitizer
What to Bring
- Face masks for the bus ride to and from the river
- Sturdy footwear like old tennis shoes — We also rent river shoes.
- Please, no flip flops or sandals
- Rafts do not have storage. Please leave all personal items in a hotel room or vehicle.
- Wallets, keys, and phones can be left in our complimentary secure lockers.
- The Health Department requires masks or face coverings to and from the river while in the vehicles.
- Hands need to be washed and/or sanitized before loading a vehicle.
- We are running all trips with limited capacity.
- We are sanitizing and cleaning the vehicles after each trip.
- Windows will be down while in vehicles.
- All equipment will be cleaned and sanitized before and after all trips.
- Sign the digital waiver ASAP for everyone in the group. Look for an email called “Action Required” (this may end up in your junk folder).
- Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled adventure time.
- Parking is available at our location.
- Restrooms and changing areas are available.
- Due to Covid-19, shirts must be worn under life jackets.