Paddling through Rockwood Gorge is one of the most incredible outdoor experiences. During peak runoff, this section of the river is unnavigable for commercial rafts.
Upper Animas Overnight Whitewater Rafting
- Upper Animas Overnight
Remoteness, Stunning Scenery, and Fantastic Whitewater!
This is not for the faint of heart. This is one of the most physically demanding whitewater trips out there and is designed for experienced rafters only. This is one of the most sought-after trips in the United States due to the remoteness, stunning scenery, and fantastic whitewater. Immerse yourself in over 25 miles of class III, IV, and V whitewater with some rapids that last for miles. We stop for the night at our stunning riverside camp, where can you relax with a cold beverage or explore Chicago Basin while we cook up a hearty meal for you.
Participants should have above-average fitness and stamina, as well as strong swimming skills and previous whitewater rafting experience. During high water in May and early June, this is especially important as we will likely be portaging at least one rapid (you must be able to help carry the boat). We reserve the right to move participants to the Middle Upper trip based on flows or skill/fitness levels of participants.
No other river in Colorado can match the scenery and wilderness character that is found on the Upper Animas.
What We Provide
- Safety orientation
- Two delicious lunches
- Dinner and a filling breakfast
- PFDs (Personal Flotation Devices), a.k.a. life jackets — Sorry, no personal PFDs allowed.
- Transportation to and from the river
- Raft guide
- Splash tops
- Hand sanitizer
What to Bring
- Face masks for the bus ride to and from the river
- Warm clothes for camp
- Hiking shoes
- Water bottle and sunscreen
- Sleeping bag
- Pad and tent are available for a rental fee of $30.
- Waterproof camera
- We also offer a GoPro rental for an additional $50.
- Sign the digital waiver ASAP for everyone in the group. Look for an email called “Action Required” (this may end up in your junk folder).
- Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled adventure time.
- Parking is available at our location.
- Restrooms and changing areas are available.
- Due to Covid-19, shirts must be worn under life jackets.